Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Top Ten Wednesday (TTW) - Books that made me lose my time

1. Twilight Saga

image
I have to admit that all four books are entertaining but they provide nothing more than knowledge about vampires and werewolves. Also, Bella’s self-esteem is mostly absent giving female readers yet another reason to feel insecure… just saying.

2. Breakfast with Buddha

image
This book is a pseudo Buddhist book. If the reader has never heard of Bhudda it could be an easy and entertaining introduction. The novel is somewhat engaging and can only be helpful if you are planning a road trip from New York to somewhere in the Midwest and would like to know some of the restaurants on the way.

3. The Great Gatsby

image
I know this is one of the classics of American literature but honestly I tried to see what the point of the story was and I could not. I did not go to high school in the states – maybe it was explained in the English class – but other than the luxurious life of Gatsby, the bad event, and the fact that he got away with it, the novel did not provide much else for me.

4. The Newlyweds

image
I was drawn to this book because the story was about a mixed couple – an American man and a woman from Bangladesh. I am in a mixed relationship myself so I was hoping to connect with the story immediately. Well, I was wrong. Their marriage was strange – it was not arranged but it seemed that it was not for love either. The writer portrayed the Bangladeshi woman as opportunistic and the man as someone with no feelings. There was an unexpected twist but it was so bizarre that in my humble opinion it did not fit in the story.

5. One Minute Millionaire

image
The intention of this book is supposedly to help the rest of us become millionaires. Although some of the tips may be useful most of them are very hard to apply. Also the writer tries to appeal to those readers who use their right-side of the brain with the same message in the shape of a story… I do not want to be impolite, let’s just say I’m glad a left-sided brainy.

6. Acres of Diamonds

image
Suffice to say that this was a complete waste of money and time. The positive? It was a short book.

7. The Sea Wolf 

image
This one is supposed to be another classic. This one is about a tyrannical boat captain on a voyage from San Francisco to China. I guess the only thing one can learn from this book is how evil a man with power could be.

8. As a Man Thinketh

image
As in Acres of Diamond, reading this book was a waste of time and money. It is also a short book so the damage was not too big.

9. Russian’s Debutante Handbook

image
I read this book recently. The story was not engaging and I kept reading with the hope that something would happen. Well there was brief action towards the end of the book. It was not worth the wait and time.

10. The Worlds I Love (Los Mundos que Amo)

image
This is some interplanetary story with which I could not connect. Maybe readers who like science fiction may enjoy it… it was not my cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment