Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Top Ten Wednesday - Places to go in the Americas

This week we will talk about places to visit. As many of you know one of my passions is to travel. I am a curious person by nature and I am very interested in seeing other places, getting to know the culture, the food, the people, some of the history… and of course to capture all that in pictures.
For this week TTW I would like to present to you the top ten places you can’t miss in the Americas. These are the classic ones like New York City – I think is always good to have a refresher. Since this is based on my personal experience, I would love to have your comments and/or suggestions I may have missed or don’t know yet to add to the list. This time, the order would be from North to South.

1. Alaska, U.S.

Alaska is one of those places where nature is at its best at least in the summer. I recommend doing this voyage at least once in a lifetime. There are so many parks, natural habitats, and fauna to see… do not miss a whale watching tour and a ride on a dog sledge. These experiences are unique especially for people who come from places closer to the tropics.

2. Niagara Falls, Canada

In my humble opinion, it is important to visit Niagara Falls at least once in a lifetime. It is one of those natural wonders that can be stared for hours and still be amazed. Once there, close your eyes and just listen to the power of the falls as the water crashes against the rocks. The boat ride is a must; it may be the closest one can get to the cataracts safely. Whether you go to the American or Canadian sides, it is a unique experience everyone should have.

3. New York City, U.S.

NYC is an overwhelming city. Every time I go, I get the sensation of having so many options and things to do that I don’t know where to start. Of course, for the first time it is necessary to do most of the touristy activities like Empire State Building, the Statue of Liberty, the museums, Central Park, Broadway, and Times Square. For the subsequent visits one can take the path less traveled and see NYC from the perspective of the locals. I have been lucky enough to have experienced both tourist and local visits.

4. Chicago, U.S.

I can only talk about Chicago in the summer. What a pleasure to walk admiring the buildings, Millennium Park, the river, and the lake! There is so much to see in this city starting with a must architectural tour on the river or lake or both. Do not miss Chicago Cultural Center, Millennium Park, the art on the street, and if in the mood, a couple of rooftop parties famous during the summer. There are usually free concerts both in the park and in the CCC. People are usually very nice and polite, more so than in other big cities.

5. San Francisco, U.S.

San Francisco is one of the favorite spots for honeymooners. Although I did not go to San Francisco under this category, I can fully understand why. It is a romantic city with the great combination of mountains, ocean, and architecture.

6. Mexico City, Mexico

There are so many sights and activities to do in Mexico City… Located at 2,240 meters (7,350 feet) above sea level, Mexico City houses art jewels like the Metropolitan Cathedral, the Government Palace with Pedro Rivera paintings, and one of the most complete and biggest museums I have visited: the National Museum of Anthropology. A curious note is that Mexico had an emperor and empress, Maximilian (from Austria) and Charlotte (of Belgium) from 1864 to 1867. Their palace is a must sight to visit in the Chapultepec park. Outside of the city there are other interesting attractions such as Frieda Kahlo’s Blue House, and the Teotihuacan ruins.

7. Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

One of the most visited beaches in the Caribbean, Punta Cana is a must for those who prefer calm sea, and drinks, good food, and parties in the hotels. A beach vacation, especially in an all-inclusive hotel, is a non-hassle activity ideal to rest, recharge, and completely disconnect. The water in the beach in Punta Cana is usually warm, clean, and inviting. At night, I especially enjoyed seating on the beach and listening to the waves… very calming.

8. Machu Picchu, Peru

Machu Picchu was voted one of the Seven Wonders of the World in 2007. This site is overtaking. The combination of the imperial city with the Andes creates an effect that is overwhelming for the visitor. There are many activities around the site such as a guided tour of the ruins, a hike to the Wayna Picchu, and a several-day hike of the Inca trail. I only visited the ruins and it was an amazing experience.

9. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Rio de Janeiro has a something for everyone. For the soccer fans there is the visit to the Maracana Soccer Stadium where you could see the famous soccer player footprints such as Pele’s, Ronaldo’s, and Kaka’s. Those who prefer the carnaval there is the Sambadrome Marques de Sapucai where the parade of the different samba schools take place during carnaval in Rio. Of course, the main attractions are Pao de Acucar (Sugar Loaf), the beaches (Ipanema and Copacabana), and the Christ, among others. It is worth the visit.

10. Patagonia, Chile

Contrary to Alaska, when I arrived in Patagonia, I had the instant feeling of being at the end of the world. Since there is less infrastructure than in Alaska it is more difficult and probably more expensive to reach to the Patagonia region. I visited the Chilean side but in my opinion this region, whether on Argentina or Chile, is worth the visit. In my experience this is the ultimate communion with nature. It is not an inviting landscape but I particularly got the feeling of being special, one of the few, and at peace. Guides in the region emphasize the importance of protecting the environment and certain activities like salmon fishing is done with the least harm to the environment as possible (e.g. catch and release). Do not miss a trip to the glaciers and to see the Magellanic penguins.

1 comment:

  1. I like this blog, I'm sure that I will enjoy visiting those place because of those beautiful places that they have. I will reserved this to my schedule during my travel in other country for vacation.

    best places to visit

    ReplyDelete